We just returned from a whirlwind tour of Eastern Europe. Jeff and I traveled to Budapest and Vilnius with the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles. This trip was jam packed with in depth visits to both Jewish and secular sites. We learned, sang, danced, laughed and cried with our Jewish brothers and sisters. There were moments of deep sadness as we listened to the stories of survivors of the Holocaust; followed by moments of great joy as we met with children and teens from all over Eastern Europe, the Baltic countries, Turkey, Russia, India, Canada and the U.S. at the Jewish summer camp of Szarvas, located outside of Budapest. Meeting with these young people, some of whom only recently discovered that they are Jewish, filled my heart simultaneously with sadness and joy. The fact that their parents once felt a need to hide their religion, saddened me greatly; the fact that they and their children are now embracing it, fills me with hope. As an active member of the Jewish Federation, I am incredibly proud to be part of an organization that is so committed to ensuring the Jewish future.
In packing for a 9 day trip such as this, I decided to go with carry on luggage only. When I pack, I use black and white as my basic backdrop, adding pops of color throughout in the form of skirts, dresses and accessories.
Here is what I packed
1) Tops: Both white and black: two tanks, two tees both short and long sleeved.
2) Pants: black, white and denim jeans (one of each)
3) Dresses: I packed six dresses in many varieties from t-shirt style to long pleated
4) Skirts: 3 fabulous long pleated skirts and one colored denim mini skirt
5) Shoes: I packed a whopping 7 pairs! Two pairs of flat sandals, one pair of ballet flats, one pair of leather espadrille flats, one pair of slip on as well as tie up sneakers, dressy low block-heel sandals.
6) Accessories: A mix of inexpensive gold and silver earrings, bracelets and necklaces and one colored necklace. My black leather Hermes belt and a stretch belt by Sandro.
7) Scarves: Anyone who knows me knows that I have a plethora of scarves…from neckties to large squares, I have this area covered (no pun intended). For this trip, I packed two neck-tie silk squares, and one large black Louis Vuitton wrap.
8) Outer wear: one black silk bomber jacket (Victoria Beckham), one white cotton jean jacket (Theory), one rain jacket that folds into its own pouch (Max Mara).
9) Handbag: one fabulous Louis Vuitton belt bag that converts to a shoulder/crossbody purse.