With so many friends and family members avoiding gluten, I decided to substitute almond flour for regular flour. The result? Two thumbs up!! You can also use non-dairy margarine for those who are dairy-free.
- 4 to 6 cups of blueberries, washed and well dried, or other fruit
- 1 cup of sugar, or to taste
- 8 tablespoons, (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, or vegan margarine, more for greasing pan
- ½ cup of all-purpose almond flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
1. preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss fruit with half the sugar and spread it in a 1½-inch-deep lightly buttered 8- or 9-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining ½ cup sugar and pulse. Add butter, or non-dairy margarine and process for 10 seconds, until well blended. Beat egg and vanilla together by hand and add to mixture.
3. Drop mixture onto fruit by tablespoonfuls; do not spread it out. Bake until just starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve within an hour or so.