Za’atar is a middle eastern spice that is used for seasoning everything from chicken to cauliflower. It is comprised of oregano, basil, thyme, sesame seeds, and sumac. It is so flavorful that once you start using it, you will be adding to almost everything you cook. From chicken to veggies, it enhances the flavor of everything it graces. It is especially wonderful on cauliflower steaks, so let’s begin here. Low calorie and healthy, I urge you to try this recipe sooner rather than later, when cauliflower is plentiful and in season. Za’atar is readily available at most grocery stores. But if you cannot find it you can order it here.click to print
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves grated
- 3-4 tablespoons of Za’atar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice the cauliflower into thick (1-1/2 inch) steak slices.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Grate garlic cloves into the olive oil and brush it onto the steak.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and kosher salt.
- Add enough Za’atar to lightly coat each steak.
- Turn each steak and repeat all steps on the other side.
- Bake at 400° F for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.