Who doesn’t like chocolate? Let me rephrase that…who doesn’t LOVE chocolate? The fact that it is loaded with anti oxidants, doubles the pleasure. Adding nuts and dried fruit gives it texture and added fiber, making this sweet treat a healthy one as well. Use whatever add ins you have on hand. Get creative. I like to use dried cranberries and cherries. or golden raisins for color. I also love to top it with unsweetened coconut shavings like the ones by Red Mill. Whatever you add, will be perfect. It’s pretty hard to mess this one up!
- 2 10-oz bags of semisweet chocolate (baking chips or chocolate chips)
I like to use Scharffen Berger semi sweet baking chocolate (62 percent cacao), but semi sweet chocolate chips work just as well.
- ½ cup of shelled unsalted pistachios, almonds, or any nut of your choice, chopped
- ½-1 cup al natural and unsweetened coconut flakes
(like Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup of dried cranberries, chopped or any dried fruit of your choice
- ½ teaspoon of coarse sea salt (optional)
- Place water in the bottom of a double boiler and bring to a boil. (If you don’t have a double boiler, place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water). Meanwhile, chop the chocolate into large chunks. Set aside 1 tablespoon each of the pistachios, almonds, and cranberries to top the chocolate. Place a Silpat mat or sheet of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of the double boiler, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, turn off the heat and stir in the pistachios, almonds, and cranberries. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out with a spatula onto a large, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the reserved 1 tablespoon each of pistachios, almonds, and cranberries. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the chocolate.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and freeze for 1 hour, until completely firm. Using your hands, break the chocolate into chunks and enjoy, or transfer to a sealed container. Store in the freezer for best results.