I have been in search of a great Cole Slaw recipe, primarily because, it is the perfect accouterment to a summer meal, and it photographs so beautifully!
Based on the original recipe by Pamela Salzman, I tweaked this Summer Slaw recipe it a bit to shorten the length of time and clean up in the kitchen. And since Serena and I were making this together, it took no time at all! We used bagged shaved Brussels Sprouts, and bagged Cole Slaw, because who really needs to stand in the kitchen this summer and shave vegetables? Certainly not me, and I am guessing not you, either. Below is the recipe, but I warn you… it is highly addictive. The good thing is that this Summer Slaw will keep for up to 3 days, so you can limit yourself to one (or two) servings and still look forward to leftovers the next day!
- 1/4 cup of good mayonnaise (we used Vegan Avocado mayo by Primal Kitchen)
- 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar, preferably unpasteurized like this one by Bragg
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- generous amount of freshly ground pepper
- 1 bag of shaved of Brussels sprouts (Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s both carry this)
- 1 small (12 oz.) bag of coleslaw (carrots, white, and red cabbage)
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- Prepare the dressing. In a blender or handheld mixer.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, coleslaw, apples, and almonds into a salad bowl and toss with the dressing.