If you have never tried The Beyond Meat Burger, I insist you do it today. This vegan burger rivals any beef burger I have eaten. We created ours with caramelized onions and an aioli sauce. The results were amazing!
- 4 beyond burger patties, 2 packages.
- 3 cups of arugula
- caramelized onions, recipe below
- 4 slices of cheese of your choice, we used Jarlsberg lite.
- 4 hamburger buns, we used pretzel hamburger buns.
- garlic aioli
Plant-based Caramelized Onions Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon of vegan butter or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large yellow or red onion
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme
Plant-based garlic aioli:
- 2/3 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of water (optional to thin)
Vegan Caramelized Onion Instructions:
- Over medium-low heat, melt the vegan butter in a thick-bottomed stainless steel or cast iron pan, or coat the pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Add the sliced onions and cook for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add a pinch of the salt and the sugar, then reduce the heat and continue to cook the onions for 30 minutes to 1 hour until they are deep amber in color and caramelized.
- Stir them often enough so that they don’t burn, but not so much that they won’t brown.
- Finish off with the balsamic vinegar, thyme and garlic.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes and set aside.
Vegan Garlic Aioli Instructions:
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and sea salt to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and then add as much water as needed. Blend and repeat until desired consistency is reached.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. Vegan aioli will last up to seven days in the refrigerator.
- Cook the beyond burger according to package instructions.
- 2-3 minutes before the patty is finished cooking add a slice of the cheese and allow it to melt. Covering the frying pan speeds this up.
- Toast the hamburger buns for 2-3 minutes in the pan. Top with the beyond burger patty followed by caramelized onions and fresh arugula.
- Spread the garlic aioli on top half of bun half and enjoy!