My new best friend is the Slow Cooker. What could be better than dumping a bunch of healthy ingredients into a pot, turning it on and walking away?! This recipe does just that.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 cups cooked chopped or shredded chicken (the meat from about 1 rotisserie chicken) OR 1 ½ – 2 lbs. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 cup taco sauce or salsa of your choice
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Optional garnish for serving: shredded cheddar cheese sliced green onions, lime, cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream
- Bag of tortilla chips
Combine chicken broth, chicken, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, taco sauce, onion, garlic powder, cumin, and taco seasoning in slow cooker.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
Crumble a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Ladle soup over chips and garnish with desired toppings.
Note: If using raw chicken breasts, you will need to increase the cooking time to 4-6 hours on LOW or 2-3 hours on HIGH. At the end of cooking, shred or chop the chicken breasts, return to the pot, and serve.
If using uncooked chicken, start by heating 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add diced chicken and cook, stirring regularly, just until chicken is browned (it doesn’t need to be cooked through).
Note: If you’re starting with diced, cooked chicken, you can skip the first step and just add the chicken to the Instant Pot with the rest of the ingredients.
Add the chicken broth, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, taco sauce, onion, garlic powder, cumin, and taco seasoning to the pot with the chicken. Stir well.
Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce heat to a low simmer.
Let soup simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Crumble a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Ladle soup over chips and garnish with desired toppings