I have been making this delicious Banana Bread for over 30 years when I first discovered it in Victoria Principal’s book, “The Diet Principle.” It is a winner for so many reasons. It takes a few minutes to prepare, is low fat and relatively guilt-free.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter or vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of unsifted whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Add yogurt to the bananas and set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients and alternate adding them with the banana/yogurt mixture. If using the walnuts, add them last, and do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over or under bake.