This is a wonderful recipe that is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. This recipe is taken from one of my favorite cookbooks, “Cooking With Laura,” by Laura Vitale.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 shallot, diced
- 6 ounces of cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine, such as pinot grigio
- 1 cup of wild rice
- 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup of long-grain white rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and butter or margarine and let them get hot.
- Add the shallot, celery, carrot, mushrooms, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and simmer, stirring, until it has mostly evaporated.
- Add the wild rice, stirring to coat the grains with the vegetable.
- Add the broth and poultry seasoning.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the white rice, cover, and cook until all the rice is tender about 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, add salt and pepper to tasted and serve.