Staying in and having friends over for dinner is a summertime favorite of mine and something I definitely look forward to. As we dine al fresco, lingering over a bottle of Rosé, (aka summer water), the urge to find summer appetizers is real. This one is a knockout, not only for its ease but for the indescribable combination of sweet and savory. If you are dairy free, substitute with plant-based feta cheese and yogurt.
- 8 ounces of feta cheese or plant-based alternative
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt or plant-based alternative
- drizzle of olive oil
- cracked pepper
- 1 large or small clove minced garlic
- 2 pounds strawberries, stems removed and cut into quarters.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 of a red onion sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade process the cheese, yogurt, garlic oil, and pepper until completely smooth. Place in a shallow bowl and refrigerate.
- Place the cut strawberries and onion into a bowl with the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes until soft and roasted.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a small plate and let cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop some fresh basil.
- When strawberries are cooked, place them on top of the whipped feta and sprinkle with basil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with warm bread… or if you want to keep it healthy, endive or romaine cups!