Always on the hunt for easy, nutritious, and delicious food, that is gluten-free and can also adapt to a vegan diet, this one nails it. You can serve it up for New Year’s brunch (or at any breakfast, or brunch), with little to no fuss.click to print
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 pound of button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 5 ounces of baby spinach (5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack (6 ounces), divided
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed and cut in half.
- 1 avocado, sliced
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add mushrooms, and sauté until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, toss with spinach and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Lightly coat muffin cups with cooking spray and press tortillas into cups. Divide vegetable mixture among cups and top with remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack. Bake until cheese is melted and tortillas are lightly golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Serve tortilla cups topped with avocado.