I received this recipe from one of the guests at my bridal shower. That was in June of 1987. It has been in the family ever since, and with good reason. It is easy and it is a hit wherever I take it. I make my croutons from scratch…also easy and far more delicious than store-bought! I know that once you try this recipe, it will become your go-to for a classic Caesar!
[print me] click to print
FOR THE CROUTONS:
- 6-8 slices of sourdough bread (crusts removed) cut into small squares
- 2 tablespoons (or a little more) of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
Mix the above ingredients in a bow. Turn onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/2 cup of olive or vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 coddled egg (boiled for one minute then cooled in an ice bath)
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender.
- Assemble the Romaine lettuce and croutons in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss. Top with fresh shavings of parmesan cheese.