It’s the end of October, and soup season is in full swing. I love a hearty vegetable soup, especially one with protein that can easily serve as a meal. This recipe for Ribollita gets high marks for both protein and other nutrients, its robust flavor and low calories. Buon Appetito!click to print
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, diced (white parts only)
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard, chopped into thin ribbons
- 5 ounces of fresh spinach
- 4 cups of cooked cannellini beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil on medium. Add the onions, garlic and half of the carrots, celery and fennel. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste cook and for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock along with the remaining carrots, celery, fennel, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chard, spinach and beans, and cook until softened, about 7-12 more minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!