This is the perfect side dish no matter the occasion. If you are making this at any time of the year other than Passover, substitute almond flour for matzoh meal, and make it completely gluten-free. This is such a popular dish, that I have made it at other times of the year when I am looking for something sweet to serve alongside something savory. It’s so easy to make, so please do not be intimidated by the word soufflé. It is impossible to ruin it and the pineapple carrot combo is absolutely fantastic!
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups of finely grated carrots, about 5-6 large carrots
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of matzo meal
- ½ cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 20oz. can of crushed pineapple with heavy syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs whites until they are stiff. Using a spatula, fold in the carrots, sugar, and matzoh meal. Fold in the egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, orange juice, and pineapple with the syrup.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden. Scoop or spoon out.