I am an enormous fan of this muffin recipe for a number of reasons: firstly, you dump all the ingredients into one bowl, mix, pour into a muffin tin, and bake. What could be easier than that? In addition, these are gluten-free, no sugar muffins that are sweetened with maple syrup and dates. This recipe is completely flexible with add-ins (dried fruit and nuts of your choice) and toppings (butter, honey, fruit preserves)… I’ll stop there because I am getting too hungry!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 8 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 3 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups total)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- walnuts or pecans, raisins…optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, grate the carrots. Alternatively, feel free to mix by hand the old fashioned way for a more rustic looking muffin.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, in no specific order.
- Blend until a thick chunky batter comes together.
- Pour into a greased muffin tin. Top with chopped walnuts or pecans, raisins, or other dried fruit of your choice. if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until tops spring back when touched.