- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or you can simply spray the bottom of a large saucepan with nonaerosol cooking spray
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground curry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat the oil or spay.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté another 5 minutes more until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and salt and mix well.
- Add the rice and broth, then stir in the peas and carrots.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pot and continue to cook on low heat for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Reduce from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately. Serves 6.