- 3 cups of fresh leafy greens and herbs of your choice ( basil, flat-leaf parsley, mint, arugula, kale- use one type or a combination), stemmed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 chili, stemmed and seeded (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of nuts or seeds of your choice ( such as almonds, walnuts, pine nuts or sunflower seeds)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
For The Chicken:
- 12 skinless boneless chicken thighs or 6 boneless chicken breasts or a combination of both.
- 1 yellow onion cut into thin slices
- 6 medium carrots stemmed and cut into quarters length-wise
- 2 cups of assorted cherry tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup of Green Pesto
- one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Place the herbs, garlic, chili if using and nuts or seeds in a work bowl of a food processor, a mini one works well, and blitz until chopped finely.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and blitz again until a paste is formed.
- Add the oil and blitz once more. Adjust seasoning to your liking. Refrigerate in sealed container or glass jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Pesto freezes well. Freeze in 1 teaspoon portions in an ice cream tray. Once frozen, store in a lock top freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken, onions, carrots and tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the pesto over all the ingredients and use your hands to rub into the chicken and veggies. Pat the chicken and the veggies down so that they are on a single layer of the parchment paper.
- Drizzle the oil over the top and bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and top with fresh basil and fresh pepper.
- This dish can be assembled and marinate in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Chicken thighs can be stored in the freezer for up to one month. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before reheating uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes.
- This recipe is courtesy of Kim Kushner from her wonderful cookbook, I Love Kosher.