I apologize for the image, but it was taken from a video that I shot of the preparation of this cake. Suffice to say that you are going to have to trust me on this one; this cake is a winner for so many reasons. It is fabulous either frosted or on its own and is both gluten and dairy-free. It is much easier to prepare than it looks. If you decide not to frost it, please mind the baking time so that the top of the cake does over-darken.
- 10 eggs, separated
- 16 oz of best quality dark chocolate.
- 1 1/3 of cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 cups of ground almond (almond flour)
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- Hot coffee to make thinner.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and line the base and side of a springform cake pan.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then set aside.
- Melt the chocolate, sugar, and butter in a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Once melted, stir thoroughly to combine.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and allow it to cool a little, then mix in the ground almonds.
- Beat the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, a little at a time.
- Stir two spoonfuls of the egg whites into the chocolate to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow cooling before removing from the cake pan.