This is one of my favorite salads. It is perfect for this time of year. It’s from the kitchen of Dorothy Salkin.
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch of red leaf lettuce
- 1 bunch of green curly lettuce (or any mixed greens of your choice)
- 1 crisp red-skinned apple, quartered and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds (optional)
- Always purchase your greens for a salad a day ahead of serving.
- Wash well and then tear into bite-sized pieces. Wrap tightly in dish towels, place in a ziplock bag, and tie tightly. This will give you perfect and wonderfully crisp greens.
- Take out the greens at the latest possible time just before serving, so they are superb and just right for your salad.
- Combine vinegar, shallots, mustard, and honey in a bowl. Add oil and whisk until blended (I use an immersion blender). Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Combine greens, apple, and almonds (if you are using them) in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat.