This recipe is from The Barefoot Contessa cookbook. The original recipe calls for full-fat mayonnaise, but I prefer to use reduced-fat mayo and the result is just as good! I also add dried cranberries to mine as an added sweet surprise!
- 1 pound of white cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3/4 pound of red cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 5 carrots
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon of celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fit a food processor with the thickest slicing blade. Cut the cabbages into small wedges and place horizontally into the feed tube. Process in batches.
- Next, fit the food processor with the grating blade. Cut the carrots in half and place them in the feed tube so they are lying on their sides. Process in batches as mix in a bowl with the grated cabbages.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, celery salt, salt, and pepper.
- Pour enough of the dressing over the grated vegetables to moisten them. Serve cold or at room temperature.