This appetizer is so delicious that you will want to have it as a leftover for lunch the next day. My guests could not stop raving about it and many asked me for the recipe. I told them they had to wait until this week when I published it on the blog! Here is the Instagram Reels I created for this recipe.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen English peas
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided, plus more for toast and serving
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more for toast
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh mint
- 4 1/2 in.-thick slices of rustic or sourdough bread
- ⅔ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese (6 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Place peas in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until peas are tender and bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Rinse and dry the pan. Return peas to the pan.
Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to peas. Mash about two-thirds of peas with a spoon or fork; stir in mint.
Place broiler with oven rack about 3 inches from heat. Place bread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Broil, flipping once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Stir together ricotta, lemon juice, and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl. Spread on toasts and top with pea mixture. Drizzle with oil and top with lemon zest and pine nuts. Cut each toast in half and serve.