My soon-to-be daughter-in-law, Ashlie made this salad for us for our anniversary and I was hooked! Since then, I have made it several times…and that is just within the last 6 weeks! The recipe comes from the NYT Cooking section and belongs to Charlie Bird, however, we have tweaked it and made it our own.
Here is a video I created for this recipe
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 70 grams chopped pistachio nuts (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup parsley or basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup mint leaves
- ¾ cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
In a medium saucepan, bring farro, apple cider, salt, bay leaves, and 2 cups of water to a simmer. Simmer until farro is tender. Drain. If all the liquid evaporates before the farro is done, add a little more water. Let farro cool, then discard bay leaves.
In a salad bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Add farro, cheese, and pistachio nuts and mix well. This salad base will keep for up to 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator (bring to room temperature before serving). Just before serving, fold in arugula, basil, mint, and tomatoes.