One of my all-time favorite chefs is Pamela Salzman. I have featured many of her recipes here on my blog, because not only are they foolproof, but they are healthy. I had been searching for a meal that I could prepare for my family that would satisfy everyone’s dietary preferences. Serena is vegan and Ashlie is a vegetarian. When I came across Pamela’s recipe, for a salad with Brussels Sprouts and Lentils with an accompanying dressing made of cashews and dijon mustard, I jumped on it, and everyone was happy that I did!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup of dried black or French lentils rinsed
- 6 tablespoons of dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced
Dijon Cashew Dressing:
- 1/4 cup of raw unsalted cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours in water and drained, or 1/4 cup raw cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar (I used Champagne vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- In a medium-size to a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and sauté until tender and translucent.
- Add the lentils and wine and simmer until the wine has been absorbed.
- Pour in the stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender… 30-55 minutes, depending on the type of lentils and the brand. If the lentils seem too liquidy, simmer for a little longer uncovered. Taste the lentils and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper as needed.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste, and sauté until just tender, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Prepare the cashew dressing: Place 6 tablespoons of water and all the ingredients, including pepper to taste, in a blender or food processor and process until completely smooth.
- Stir the Brussels sprouts into the lentils and drizzle with the dressing. Toss and serve!