Ever since my anemic episode a few years ago, I have been supplementing my iron stores nutritionally. This dish is loaded with Iron and B vitamins and fits my needs perfectly. It is delicious as a side dish that is both gluten-free and packed with protein.
- 2 cups quinoa either white or red, rinsed
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of spinach, washed and stems trimmed (or l bag of rewashed spinach)
- 1 pound mushrooms, washed with stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package by bringing the stock and quinoa to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to low cook until the liquid is fully absorbed (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, sauté the mushrooms on medium heat in the oil until soft (about 10-15 minutes). Add the spinach to the pan stirring constantly until softened. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa to a large bowl, and mix in the mushrooms and spinach.
- Serve immediately!