Who doesn’t love a good Chinese Chicken Salad? It’s light, refreshing, and filling. And this recipe is lower in fat and calories since it does not include any of those non-nutritious crunchies that so many Chinese chicken salads contain. This Chinese chicken salad starts out with a simple yet tasty grilled chicken breast. I like this marinade because it is clean, meaning lower in fat while the orange juice concentrate and cumin give it a kick in flavor. This has been my go-to recipe for grilled chicken for many many years, since it works just as well on its own, as it does in a salad.
This Chinese chicken salad dressing is our family favorite since it is easy to make and delicious and lighter in fat and calories. If you want to skip the sugar, you can use stevia or monk fruit (which are healthier options). If you haven’t tried Monkfruit, you should. Here is an excellent article about this natural sweetener which I highly recommend.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, orange juice concentrate, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over chicken, turning to coat.
- Marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken on a lightly oiled barbecue or grill for a few minutes per side or until cooked through. You can also saute the chicken in a skillet, in a tablespoon of olive oil, or coat a pan with nonaerosol olive oil spray.
The Salad and Dressing
- mixed greens of your choice
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 shredded or finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 1 packet of stevia or monk fruit (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small jar or blender combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar or sweetener of choice, salt, and pepper. Shake well or blend with a hand blender.
- Slice grilled chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss green and vegetables with the dressing.
- Add the chicken and almonds if using.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.