This yummy Asian-inspired black bean spaghetti was created once I realized that these were the ingredients I had on hand, and my family was craving Asian food. This quarantine has certainly led to many new meals in our home, as I am sure that it has in yours as well. With Serena home right now and following a gluten-free diet, I purchased many plant-based kinds of pasta, such as the red lentil that I featured last week. Plant-based pasta, like black bean or red lentil, is chock full of protein and wonderful alternatives to meat and fish meals, and is great for vegans and vegetarians too.
With that being said, feel free to add chicken or salmon to this. I served pan-seared salon with this on the night that I served it and served stir-fried chicken with the leftovers the next night. I created the sauce from Asian ingredients, such as sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and fresh ginger. I happened to have fresh ginger, but powdered would work just as well. This is a very easy meal to make from scratch, and you can substitute different vegetables. The only ingredient that is highly recommended is, of course, black bean pasta!
- 7-ounce package black bean spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or non-aerosol olive oil spray
- 1/2 of a red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag frozen artichokes, thawed and drained (optional)
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced (I use half each of a red, yellow, and orange pepper)
- 10 ounces broccoli florets, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup tomato grapes, halved
- sea or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 ginger-soy dressing
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted cashews or peanuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced, or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup olive or peanut oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large saucepan, with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or well sprayed on medium-high heat, sauté the onions until slightly translucent. Add the cherry tomatoes and continue cooking until they are softened.
- Add the broccoli and peppers, mushrooms and artichokes, if you are using.
- Continue to cook until broccoli is bright green and mushrooms and peppers are softened.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a glass jar or container, shaking vigorously to mix or use a hand blender.
- Add the vegetables to the spaghetti and mix well. Add the sauce and toss until well dispersed.
Serve warm and enjoy!