- 3 tablespoons of regular butter or vegan butter, I use Earth Balance.
- 1 1/2 pounds of carrots, 6-7 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups of chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 2 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 3 large strips of zest from an orange
- chopped chives, parsley, dill, or fennel for garnish
- Sauté the onions and carrots.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat and cook the onions and carrots, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let the onions or carrots brown.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of the salt over the carrots and onions as they cook.
- Add the stock, water, ginger and strips of orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the strips of the orange zest! It’s easy to forget this step, and if you forget and purée the soup with the strips of the zest still in it, the soup may be too bitter for your taste.
- Purée the soup with a stick blender, or working in small batches, pour the soup into a blender or Cuisinart and purée until completely smooth. Serves 6.