This is a new twist on a family pasta favorite that I have been making with penne pasta since my kids were little. I updated it by adding wilted spinach and artisanal pasta for a more grown-up appeal.
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound of short pasta of your choice, I found this one at Trader Joe’s
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bag or bunch of spinach washed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or DF cheese plus more for serving
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 13-15 minutes. Drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until just golden, about 1 minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper if using, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the tomato juices run, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and 1/4 cup of the parmesan or the DF cheese to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving bowl and toss in the spinach until the leaves are wilted.
- Add more of the cheese to taste. Serve immediately.