These macaroons are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. They are the perfect four pm pick me up during this long week of Passover when you are craving something light and sweet.
- 1/2 cup of dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar (then add 1 tablespoon sugar more)
- 4 egg whites
- 4 1/2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a small saucepan, combine apricots, water, and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Cook apricots over medium heat until tender and about 1 tablespoon water remains.
- Cool slightly and transfer to a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add remaining sugar, egg whites, and 1/2 cup coconut.
- Then process by first using on-off spurts, and then allow the machine to run until apricots are pureed.
- Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer. Add remaining coconut.
- Beat on medium speed until coconut is well blended.
- Stop the machine and check the texture. The mixture should hold together when pinched. Continue to mix, if necessary.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into pointed cone shapes.
- Arrange 1 inch apart on parchment paper on cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the tops are well browned. Cool on rack. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 24-32 macaroons.