I am always on the lookout for a new brisket recipe, and this one is a definite winner. The longer you marinate it, the better. Your home will be filled with a wonderful aroma as the brisket slowly cooks to perfection.
- 1 beef brisket (4-5 pounds/1.8-2.3 kg)
- 2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can of (6oz/170 gm) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup of red wine or water
- Coat a large roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add brisket; sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Rub brisket with spices to coat on all sides.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in parsley, tomato paste, honey, bay leaves, vinegar, and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- Pour sauce over, around, and under the brisket. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake, covered, for 3-3 1/2 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Calculate 45 minutes per pound to determine the cooking time.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Discard hardened fat from gravy. Trim excess fat from brisket.
- Slice against the grain to the desired thickness.
- Reheat, covered, in pan gravy at 350° for 25-30 minutes.