- 1 1/2 cups of lightly salted water or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup of quinoa
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups of mixed salad greens
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin oil
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large serving bowl and let cool.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Let cool. Drain excess liquid, if necessary.
- Add mushrooms, mixed greens and cherry tomatoes to the quinoa. Cover and chill.
- Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar. Seal tightly and shake well. Refrigerate.
- Dice the avocado shortly before serving. Toss the salad with dressing; add the avocado just before serving.