Here is the perfect summer salad… a variation on the classic caprese but with all the sweetness of the season.
- 10 ounces of arugula, I use the boxed or bagged organic baby leaves
- 1/4 cup of aged white balsamic vinegar, the thick and syrupy kind, or traditional-aged kind, plus more to finish
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil plus more to finish
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 large firm but ripe nectarines
- 2 balls of fresh mozzarella packed in water and cut into 8 wedges or small mozzarella balls packed in water
- vegan/DF option: sliced avocado
- Place the arugula in a large bowl and drizzle with the 1/4 cup of the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil.
- Toss to coat. Arrange the arugula on a platter and sprinkle with a few pinches of the sea salt.
- Tuck the nectarine wedges into the arugula, evenly spacing them throughout the platter. Do the same thing with the mozzarella.
- Drizzle the entire salad with equal parts of the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Sprinkle with several pinches of the sea salt and add the freshly ground pepper to your liking.
- Taste for seasoning. Using enough salt is key to bringing out the sweetness of the nectarines, so don’t be afraid to add another pinch.