This salad abounds in nutrition, taste and crunch. Serve it as a side dish or add some grilled chicken or salmon for a complete meal.
- 1 medium bunch kale
- 1/2 red cabbage, sliced
- 1 jar/can heart of palm, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds* (or both)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries and golden raisins
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
Wash and dry the kale. Remove and discard tough stalks and center veins. Massage kale with your fingertips for about 5 minutes, until the leaves have wilted. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
Combine kale with cabbage and hearts of palm in a large bowl. Cover and chill.
Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar: seal tightly and shake well. Refrigerate.
Toss salad with dressing shortly before serving. Top with sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds.