Pair this rice with Persian Spiced Chicken or any meat or fish of your choice. Using cold leftover rice is perfect since hot grains tend to stick together.
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup of chopped mixed dried fruit such as apricots, raisins, figs, or prunes
- 1/4 cup of chopped almonds lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 of fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the rice, apple, dried fruit, almonds, salt, and thyme. Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer to a baking dish of your choice. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until hot and lightly crisped. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.