Pair this rice with Persian Spiced Chicken or any meat or fish of your choice. Using cold leftover rice is perfect since hot grains tend to stick together.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup chopped mixed dried fruit such as apricots, raisins, figs or prunes
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 fresh thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the rice, apple, dried fruit, almonds, salt and thyme. Mix ingredients thoroughly. Transfer to a baking dish of your choice. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until hot and lightly crisped. Makes about 31/2 cups.