This lemon yogurt cake is full of all things good for you. It is simple to prepare and does not require an electric mixer!
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups of sugar, divided
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the Glaze
- 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup of sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup of lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup of sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.