This salad abounds in nutrition, taste and crunch. Serve it as a side dish or add some grilled chicken or salmon for a complete meal.
1 medium bunch kale
1/2 red cabbage, sliced
1 jar/can hearts of palm, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds* (or both)
3/4 cup dried cranberries and golden raisins
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1) Wash and dry the kale. Remove and discard tough stalks and center veins. Massage kale with your fingertips for about 5 minutes, until the leaves have wilted. Chop into bite sized pieces.
2) Combine kale with cabbage and hearts of palm in a large bowl. Cover and chill.
3) Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar: seal tightly and shake well. Refrigerate.
4) Toss salad with dressing shortly before serving. Top with sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds.
* To toast sunflower or pumpkin seeds, spread on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant.