2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound mushrooms
2 medium onions
1 medium green pepper
1 medium red pepper
2 stalks celery
3 teaspoons salt
frshly grated pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350° F
2. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a 9x13 pyrex pan and heat in the oven.
3. In a food processor fitted with slicing disc, slice mushrooms and sauté in 2 batches cooking on high heat until all the liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Change to steel knife, and coarsely chop the onion. Sauté in a little hot oil. Add to mushrooms.
5. In 2 or 3 batches, using on and off turns, coarsely chop the peppers, celery and carrots together. Sauté in a little hot oil adding more oil if necessary. When soft, transfer to bowl containing the mushrooms and onions.
6. Break the matzot into small pieces. Place in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over the matzot to cover. Soak for 1 minute to soften. Drainin a colander. Add to vegetables.
7. To the work bowl add the eggs, salt, pepper and oregano. Process 10 seconds to beat. Add to vegetable-matzo mixture. Mix well.
8. Pour into heated pan.
9. Chop carrot. Sprinkle over pudding.
10. Bake for 45 miutes or until done.
NOTE: The vegetables can be prepared the day ahead. The completed pudding can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Bake for only 35 minutes. Cover and refrigerate. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chicken soup and reheat uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes or until warm.
4. This pudding freezes well.
Yield: 12 to 16
To reheat: Sprinkle with 1/4 cup