I am always on the look out for a new brisket recipe, and this one is a definite winner. The longer you marinate it, the better. Your home will be filled with a wonderful aroma as the brisket slowly cooks to perfection.
1 beef brisket (4-5 pounds/1.8-2.3 kg)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 can (6oz/170 gm) tomato paste
2 Tbsp honey
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup red wine or water
1) Coat a large roasting pan with non stick cooking spray. Add brisket; sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Rub brisket with spices to coat on all sides.
2) In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in parsley, tomato paste, honey, bay leaves, vinegar and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
3) Pour sauce over, around and under the brisket. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight, turning occasionally.
4) Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake, covered, for 3-31/2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Calculate 45 minutes per pound to determine the cooking time.
5) Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Discard hardened fat from gravy. Trim excess fat from brisket. Slice against the grain to desired thickness.
6) Reheat, covered, in pan gravy at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.