2 chickens (2 ½ to 3 pounds each), quartered
2 cups apple cider
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, or almond flour for a gluten free version
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup applejack
2 apples, cored and cut into thin wedges
1. One day before serving, place the chicken pieces in a shallow dish. Pour the cider over the chicken and marinate overnight in the refrigeratior, turning the pieces occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F
3. Remove the chicken from the cider, but reserve the cider. Mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste, in a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken with the flour mixture and place skin side up in a shallow baking pan.
4. Bake the chicken for 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, combine the reserve cider, the brown sugar, applejack and apple slices.
6. Pour the marinade mixture over the chicken and bake 25 minutes more, basting occasionally with the pan juices.