16 oz egg noodles, wide 4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick) 1 cup applesauce 4 eggs; (whole) 2 egg whites 3/4 cup sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 cup raisins 4 green apples; peeled and thinly sliced Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole.
2. Cook noodles for a couple minutes less than package-directions (until barely tender). Drain and return to saucepan. Add melted margarine and applesauce, and toss to coat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk whole eggs, whites, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until blended. Stir into noodles with raisins and apples. Mix well.
4. Pour mixture into casserole, spread evenly. Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick spray and place on top of noodles. (Unbaked kugel can be refrigerated overnight)
5. To bake: Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 min. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Remove foil, spray top with nonstick spray, and bake for 20 more min or until lightly golden. Let sit at least 15 min before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.