Here's a twist on the basic brownie. Bake them in mini muffin pans so they are round bite sized portions. Since everyone's favorite part of the brownie is the crunchy edge, baking them this way gives every brownie an edge. These can be made dairy-free using dairy-free margarine, cookies, and chocolate.
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken up
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup (12-tbsp) butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Hershey’s cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules or espresso powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 15 Oreo cookies, or dairy free chocolate sandwich cookies, broken into chunks.
- 4-5 extra Oreo or dairy free chocolate sandwich cookies, broken in half, for garnish.
1. Arrange a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat to 350F. Spray a mini-cupcake tray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the tablespoon of flour into the pan. Shake it all around and tap it over a sink or garbage can to discard excess.
2. In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat the chocolate, sugar, and butter or margarine. Whisk until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 15-20 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix the flour, sifted cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, with a mixer at medium speed, beat the eggs, coffee, granules, and vanilla until foamy. If your stand mixer has a whisk attachment, it will work well here.
5. Blend the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
6. Sprinkle all the flour/cocoa mix into the chocolate mixture. Add the Oreo mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently to combine; try not to crush the cookies. Pour batter into prepared pan, or for something a little different, use a mini muffin pan. Place the extra broken cookies on top of the batter for garnish.
7. Bake 35 minutes; do not over bake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold. Store, tightly wrapped, in refrigerator. Serve chilled.
Adapted from Kosher By Design Entertains.