Today is my niece, Lilly's, 4th birthday, and I wanted to make a birthday dessert fit for a Princess. I leafed through a lot of recipe books and then came upon this festive one. Just the cover alone, Sprinkles!, makes you sit up and take note.
The family is gathering at our house to celebrate and I got to work this morning on this frilly and girly food endeavor. The results were spectacularly fabulous and 100% Princess approved!
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, divided
- 1 cup strawberry milk
Filling, Frosting and Topping
- ½ cup strawberry fruit spread or preserves, if desired
- 3 cups Buttercream Frosting
- ¼ to ½ cup assorted sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 18 oven-safe teacups with cooking spray or butter, or line them with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute more. Beat in egg whites, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture and milk in three alternating additions, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scoop batter into prepared teacups until each is about three-quarters full and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
5. With a paring knife, cut a 1-inch cone shape out of the center of each cooled cupcake. Pinch off and discard the tip of each cone. Fill cupcakes with strawberry preserves and replace tops. Generously spread or pipe on buttercream frosting, checking to make sure the seam on top of each cupcake are covered. Top with assorted sprinkles.
*Use only teacups that you’re sure are oven-safe. To find out if yours are, flip it over! Most will say so on the bottom.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- About ½ cup sprinkles, optional
Buttercream Frosting Directions
1. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter for 1 minute, or until creamy and soft. Add confectioners’ sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Gradually beat in heavy cream until smooth.
2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add vanilla—and sprinkles, if using—and beat for 1 minute more, or until soft and fluffy. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.