Here is a tried and true recipe for tomato soup from a healthy recipe book by Bonnie Stern. Bonnie is a fellow Canadian and her recipe book has been approved by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada! I use Roma tomatoes as they are the most flavorful, and sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil are better because their flavor is more robust.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 lbs ripe tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large sauce pan. Add garlic and onion and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender and fragrant.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, stock and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Puree soup in food processor or blender. Return to heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.