In celebration of Halloween, I was looking for a recipe that I could make with my nephew Ira. I came upon this one for candy corn shaped Rice Krispie treats. Ira and I had a blast making these and I hope you will too.
- Cooking spray
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 12 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt, divided
- 9 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Yellow and red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Lightly coat a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium. Add 4 cups miniature marshmallows and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt; stir until melted. Stir in 3 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal and immediately transfer to pan. Coat an offset spatula with cooking spray and firmly press mixture into an even layer.
- Rinse saucepan. Repeat step 1 twice: To second batch, add orange zest and enough yellow and red food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture orange before adding cereal, then press into pan. To third batch, add lemon zest and enough yellow food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture yellow. Press third batch into pan.
- Let set 2 hours (or overnight). Run a small knife around edges of pan and invert loaf onto a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut loaf into 10 slices. Cut each slice in half crosswise.
- Using your hands, gently mold each treat into a candy-corn shape.